Bringing the power of YouTube to more countries with YouTube Go
Last year, we launched YouTube Go in India, a brand new app built from the ground up to unlock the power of YouTube for the next generation of users. Since then, we’ve also launched YouTube Go in 14 additional countries, including Indonesia, Nigeria and Thailand, and we’ve seen firsthand the impact that bringing more people into the world of video can have.
For instance, Mapan — a startup in Indonesia that uses technology to train and empower low-income communities and families in rural Indonesia — is using YouTube Go as part of their regular arisans or community meet-ups to equip entrepreneurial women with financial skills and resources. Each arisans’ chairwoman downloads a playlist of videos related to starting and running a small business; they then share these videos with each other using YouTube Go’s nearby sharing function. A teacher who runs a primary school for low-income children in Lagos, Nigeria, says that using YouTube Go has “allowed me to download and watch more videos that help with everything from mathematics lesson plans to how to decorate the classroom.”
We’re excited to expand YouTube Go to over 130 countries around the globe starting today. YouTube Go gives access to YouTube regardless of connectivity status and more control over data usage, while being locally and socially relevant. Key features of YouTube Go include:
- Videos that matter to you: The YouTube Go home screen features trending and popular videos in your area, so that you can find and discover videos that you and your community care about. The entire experience is available in your language, with videos that are relevant to you.
- Control over your experience: On YouTube Go, we’ll show you a video preview when you tap on a thumbnail, giving you a better sense of what the video is about before you decide if you want to watch it. You can then choose to download the video for viewing later or stream it now. And we also allow you to choose the amount of data you’d like to spend on that video.
- Share videos with friends nearby: With YouTube Go, you can share videos with friends and family nearby without using any data.
From our previous launches, we’ve learned that you love those new features, so we made a few design changes to make them even more prominent in the app:
- Watch in high quality: In response to user feedback, we’ve given you even more control of your experience and added the ability to download, stream, and share videos in High Quality in addition to basic and standard quality resolutions.
- Discover fresh content you love: We heard that you wanted an even easier way to get the freshest videos recommended to you. Now, you can get new personalized content with a simple pull of the home screen. We also notify you when new videos are uploaded from the channels you love.
- Share more easily: We know you love sharing videos, so we made design changes to make it even easier to access the share nearby feature right from the home page. We also added a highly requested feature: allowing multiple videos to be shared at once.
We’ve been working hard to build a YouTube app that works for you, with brand new features designed with your preferences, aspirations and needs in mind. We can’t wait to see what you can do with the power of YouTube in the palm of your hand.
Jay Akkad, Product Manager, YouTube, recently downloaded and watched “Diving into 1000 Mousetraps in 4K Slow Motion – The Slow Mo Guys.”