It’s time for #YouTubeRewind: Celebrating what you watched, shared, and created in 2017
#YouTubeRewind is back and we’re in love with The Shape of 2017. This year, you gave us your best reggaeton moves, witnessed an eclipse, and fell in love with a pregnant giraffe. There were, of course, difficult moments too, and community and togetherness felt as important as ever.
Our annual mashup brought together more amazing talent than ever before — nearly 300 creators, viral stars, musicians, and surprise guests to be exact! — from over 20 countries, uniting to look back at the biggest, strangest, (squishiest?), and most impactful trends of the year, from silly to solemn, that made pop culture in 2017 what it was. With fidget spinners. Obviously.
Want to be a Rewind expert? Learn about the trends and memes referenced in the video, as well as the creators who pitched in to make it possible, here. And if you already fancy yourself one, test your knowledge with our trivia game.
We’re also revealing 2017’s top trending videos and top music videos, according to time spent watching, sharing, commenting, liking, and more. Some familiar faces are back (Dude Perfect, Bad Lip Reading, James Corden) and some incredible talents in choreography, animation, and live performance join them. This year’s list of top trending videos represents the unbelievable diversity of creativity shared on YouTube every day and around the world.
Collectively, this year’s top 10 trending videos have more than 630 million views and people spent more than a collective 40 million hours watching them. They span from much-loved YouTube creators and traditional media formats to new and innovative voices in art and entertainment.
- Until We Will Become Dust – Oyster Masked (ตราบธุลีดิน – หน้ากากหอยนางรม) | THE MASK SINGER 2
- ED SHEERAN – Shape Of You | Kyle Hanagami Choreography
- Ping Pong Trick Shots 3 | Dude Perfect
- Darci Lynne: 12-Year-Old Singing Ventriloquist Gets Golden Buzzer – America’s Got Talent 2017
- Ed Sheeran Carpool Karaoke
- Lady Gaga’s FULL Pepsi Zero Sugar Super Bowl LI Halftime Show | NFL
- “INAUGURATION DAY” — A Bad Lip Reading of Donald Trump’s Inauguration
- history of the entire world, i guess
- In a Heartbeat – Animated Short Film
- Children interrupt BBC News interview – BBC News
2017 saw some major new records broken in music, most notably by Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee’s massive global hit. “Despacito” sits at the top of 2017’s top music video list — not just as the most-viewed music video for the year, but as the most viewed YouTube video of all time. A truly global list, this year’s top 10 music videos feature artists from Puerto Rico, Colombia, France, Spain, Cuba, the United States and the U.K, and six of the videos feature Latin artists, up from just one video in 2016.
- Luis Fonsi – Despacito ft. Daddy Yankee
- Ed Sheeran – Shape of You [Official Video]
- J Balvin, Willy William – Mi Gente (Official Video)
- Maluma – Felices los 4 (Official Video)
- Bruno Mars – That’s What I Like [Official Video]
- Chris Jeday – Ahora Dice (Official Video) ft. J. Balvin, Ozuna, Arcángel
- 05. El Amante – Nicky Jam (Video Oficial) (Álbum Fénix)
- Jason Derulo – Swalla (feat. Nicki Minaj & Ty Dolla $ ign) (Official Music Video)
- DJ Khaled – I’m the One ft. Justin Bieber, Quavo, Chance the Rapper, Lil Wayne
- Enrique Iglesias – SUBEME LA RADIO (Official Video) ft. Descemer Bueno, Zion & Lennox
Head to the YouTube Rewind channel for all your other #YouTubeRewind needs!
Kevin Allocca, Head of Culture & Trends, and the YouTube Rewind team, recently watched “YouTube Rewind: The Shape of 2017 | #YouTubeRewind.”